Hinges for the control of door equipped with door closer
To what extent can a door closer affect the hinges holding a door? Below are the parameters to be considered in the sizing of the hinges
Effects of door closer on the hinges
The use of door closer generates a greater load on the hinges with consequent greater wear of the latter. Therefore, great care is required when it comes to the sizing of the hinges. EN 1935 is going to be of help, here.
The sizing of the hinges
The sizing of the hinges must be directly related to the type of door closer used and its impact on the load applied to the hinges and their mounting:
- In the case of door closers with no opening brake, it is necessary to consider a mass increase of roughly 20%;
- In the case of door closers with opening brake, the effect is much greater; the door mass can be up to 75% greater;
If the door closer includes a doorstop or an opening brake, you should use 12, 13 or 14 degree hinges.
The third hinge
This increase in mass often leads to the use of a third hinge. The third hinge should be mounted approximately 200mm below the upper hinge, where it is able to support a part of the additional outward bending momentum generated by the door closer.
On wooden doors you should normally use three or more hinges.
Type of hinge to use
It is essential that the hinges used on doors equipped with door closer do not generate excessive friction torque. EN 1935 advises that, in the case of series of two, three or more hinges, a maximum drive torque be equal to:
- 3Nm for 1-7 grade hinges
- 4Nm for 8-11 grade hinges
- 5Nm for 12-14 grade hinges
Particular attention should be paid in the case of concealed hinges and the type of movement that characterizes them:
- The EC marked single-axis hinges, according to EN1935, must generate a maximum friction of 4Nm, fully within the above mentioned indications for all grades of hinges
- The multi-axis hinges, tested with different guidelines, have a maximum friction that ranges from 6.4 Nm to 10Nm
It is therefore necessary to pay particular attention to the choice of hinges to be implemented when using a door provided with door closer.
Photo by DeNardi website